Keywords: barbiturates, meprobamate, bromides, propofol (PubMed Search)
Posted: 7/2/2009 by Fermin Barrueto, MD
Click here to contact Fermin Barrueto, MD
The followings is a list of unique clinical findings related to a certain sedative-hypnotic overdose:
1) Hypothermia:Barbiturates, bromides, ethchlorvynol (others but these more pronounced)
2) Unique odors: chloral hydrate, ethchlorvynol (which is Placidyl)
3) Bradycardia: GHB (again others but pronounced in this OD)
4) Tachydysrhythmias: chloral hydrate
5) Muscular twitching: GHB, methaqualone, etomidate
6) Discolored urine: propofol (green/pink)
Adapted from Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies 8th Edition, p1102.
Download the UMEM Pearls App!
Subscribe to daily UMEM Pearls (FREE!) via: