In this exciting and evolving world of health system change, physicians must be knowledgeable of the health care system and have the unique skills to lead these changes both locally and nationally. The University of Maryland Fellowship in Health Policy and Leadership is designed to give early career emergency physicians a unique, tailored experience in health care policy, to be ready to effectively lead policy development, implementation and advocacy at the local, state or national level. Through formal didactic training, at least 2 full-time policy experiences, leadership development, as well as enormous opportunities to apply policy and advocacy skills both domestically and internationally, the fellowship will provide a springboard for a successful career as a physician leader. The comprehensive 2-year design will ensure fellows have an in-depth experience that will make them competitive candidates for policy jobs at the completion of the fellowship.
Current fellow Dr. Theresa Tassey working hard in Annapolis with Maryland Delegate Dr. Clarence Lam.
1. At least 2 practical policy experiences at the level of a staffer. Fellows will have the opportunity to staff a member of the Maryland General Assembly during its Legislative Session from January to April of the first fellowship year. In the second year potential placements include:
2. Formal education in health policy
3. Personalized leadership development and career planning
4. Develop a broad network of policy connections
5. A focused research/policy analysis project
6. Opportunities to get involved in advocacy on the national and local level
One to two fellows will be selected each year. Fellows will work part-time in one of the challenging clinical sites of the University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Network, with the opportunity to teach medical students and residents.
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter, and 2 letters of recommendation (1 must be from a program director) to:
Health policy faculty member Dr. Elizabeth Clayborne with Senator Tim Kaine.
Kyle Fischer, MD, MPH
Director, Health Policy and Fellowship in Health Policy and Leadership
University of Maryland Department of Emergency Medicine
Fellowship Director Dr. Kyle Fischer, MD, MPH on Capitol Hill.