Keywords: pneumonia, infection, delirium, atypical (PubMed Search)
Posted: 5/6/2018 by Danya Khoujah, MBBS
Click here to contact Danya Khoujah, MBBS
- Half of elderly patients presenting with pneumonia will manifest signs of delirium
- Tachypnea is the most reliable and earliest vital sign abnormality
- Classic symptoms are not often helpful at predicting severity of illness
- Symptoms are unreliable
- Cough (63-84%)
- Dyspnea (58-74%)
- Fever by history (53-60%)
- Fever at arrival (12-32%)
- Pleuritic chest pain (8-32%)
- Sputum (30-65%)
Caterino JM. Evaluation and management of geriatric infections in the emergency department. Emerg Med Clin N Am 2008;26:319-343.
Download the UMEM Pearls App!
Subscribe to daily UMEM Pearls (FREE!) via: