Keywords: pediatrics, toxicology, antidepressant, antimalarial, antipsychotic, calcium channel, aspirin (PubMed Search)
Posted: 6/4/2010 by Ellen Lemkin, MD, PharmD
Click here to contact Ellen Lemkin, MD, PharmD
There are a several classes of medications that can kill a toddler with a single dose. Toddlers are particularly susceptible due to their low weights and propensity to place everything in their mouths.
1. Calcium channel blockers
2. Camphor-containing rubs
4. Oil of wintergreen/ aspirin
5. Cyclic antidepressants
6. Topical blood pressure patches (clonidine)
7. Eye drops and nasal sprays (oxymetazoline)
9. Antimalarial drugs (cloroquine)
1. Morris-Kukowski, C. England AG. Toxicity, Deadly in a Single Dose. Emedicine, Pediatrics.
Download the UMEM Pearls App!
Subscribe to daily UMEM Pearls (FREE!) via: