Category: International EM
Keywords: Falls, elderly (PubMed Search)
Posted: 3/29/2017 by Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, MPH, PhD
Click here to contact Jon Mark Hirshon, MD, MPH, PhD
· Falls are the second leading cause of accidental or unintentional injury deaths worldwide.
· Each year an estimated 424 000 individuals die from falls globally of which over 80% are in low- and middle-income countries.
· Adults older than 65 suffer the greatest number of fatal falls.
· 37.3 million falls that are severe enough to require medical attention, occur each year.
· Prevention strategies should emphasize education, training, creating safer environments, prioritizing fall-related research and establishing effective policies to reduce risk.